BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 18, 2011

homemade playdough!

Ever since my oldest started her new Sunday school class she has become super interested in arts & crafts, creating "things" and oh yeah, obsessed with play-doh. They do so many age appropriate fun things every week, she begs to go back! I love the program they have at our church, I adore even more that she enjoys it and looks forward to going back every week.  Her three and a half year old imagination has been running wild lately!


Sometimes I forget to take time aside with Chloe and have fun exploring the things that she is ready & eager to do! Her sisters take up a lot of my time and energy being 10 months younger & SUPER busy. I try hard to make sure we spend time doing an activity Chloe picks!




Lately every time we go shopping at the BX on the AFB here we walk past this "play-doh" display. Chloe instantly goes into "I want it!" mode. [she struggles with that lately, we're working on it ;)] Huge scene because I won't typically spend money on those types of things! So I found this awesome super easy recipe for homemade play dough!



1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of salt
2 tablespoons of oil
2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
1 cup of water
& food coloring! (or one website suggested using beet, spinach & carrot juice if you prefer to go all natural)
I used the neon food coloring & the colors came out beautiful!



Mix the flour, salt, cream of tarter & oil then add the water and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly with a strong spoon ;) I say strong because I broke one of my plastic mixing spoons on my first batch! baha.
We made 3 batches & split it up into 4 balls :)
It will only take a couple of minutes and the play dough will most likely have formed a giant clump around your spoon, that's how you'll know its done! Plop it onto the counter & let it cool for a couple minutes. Then go ahead and kneed in the food coloring, I let the girls help at this point and we all had colored hands for the rest of the day! LOL
Chloe showing off her new homemade playdough!
They LOVED this, (all of them of course) it lasts for a long time just throw it in an airtight container when your done playing.  I wish I had taken some pictures while we made it! next time for sure! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment